Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Boxes of Love


It’s just a simple box…that at one time held a pair of shoes.  However, someone has taken time and money and put a lot of love into this simple shoebox.  Filled with candy, dolls, stuffed animals, crayons, coloring books, hand-made hats, scarves, and so much more…as you see each box, you become overwhelmed at the love that has been given.

I just got back with a group from my church from the Operation Christmas Child Processing Center in Boone, NC.  This was about my third or fourth time to do this...and I had a blast!  The purpose of the processing center is to look through the box to 1) take out the $7 donation for Samaritan’s Purse to process and 2) make sure that there isn’t anything inappropriate or dangerous in the boxes.  Now inappropriate doesn’t always mean that it’s something unsuitable for children, it just means that certain items (liquids, aerosol cans, shampoos) can’t be shipped overseas out of fear that the box will be ruined or destroyed if these items leaked/exploded.  Once these boxes have been looked over, they are securely taped, placed in appropriate boxes (as it pertains to gender & age group) and then they are sent off! 


My job was to look through shoeboxes for inappropriate items.  Over the course of 5 hours I found lots of liquids, food (cookies/chips), chocolate, fake money, and even some war-related items (GI-Joe’s).  Although it was difficult to take these out because I knew people had put it in there for a special child, I knew that it was important that these items come out so that the box & child could be safe.  The war-related items and money could be detrimental to a child who lived in a war-torn country.  It was so sweet to see some of the items that people put in a box.  You could tell that people had definitely put lots of thought into their shoebox.  From cards and letters to handmade items to sweet stuffed animals to special-designed boxes, my heart was so happy to know that I was the last person to touch these items before a child received them.


Some of the boxes we processed hardly had anything in them.  Initially you think, “How could someone send this off when there is hardly anything in there?”  Then I got to thinking…these items might have been all that person could afford or all they had to put in their box of love.  That thought kind of humbles you because you realize that how these people, who may not have very much themselves, want to help create smiles on the faces of children around the world, too.

The shoeboxes we processed on this day were going to Sudan.  Knowing how tumultuous life is in that country made me even more excited that I was getting to be a part of changing the life of children living in that country.  One of my favorite parts of the experience was getting to pray over the boxes.  The processing center stops every so often to encourage the volunteers and pray over the shoeboxes.  As you prayed, the processing center managers encouraged you to reach out and touch a shoebox or big carton.  I’ll tell you, I had tears in my each time we prayed for these boxes. 

Don’t take this mission opportunity for granted each year.  Your special act results in changing the life of a child halfway around the world.  When the children receive this box, they not only get all the gifts in the box, but they also get a copy of the gospel message written in their language.  How important it is for you to do this mission project each year!  Your act of love results in children hearing the greatest act of love that anyone has ever given.  I can’t imagine a better Christmas present than that!

Child in Sudan receiving a shoebox & gospel message

 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
John 13:35

No comments:

Post a Comment