Saturday, December 15, 2012

Heartbroken


Today a precious little girl stopped me in the sanctuary and said, “Miss Allison, I have something for you.”  I smiled and she reached out her hand to give me a little offering envelope with writing on the back that said, “Love I You” written in her sweet kindergarten handwriting.   I know I say this often, but I am SO blessed to have the opportunity to work with children.  I pray that I never take my time with them for granted.  I pray that I always make sure they know that that I care about them.  I pray that they always know that Jesus loves them and is with them every step of their lives.

I can’t begin to understand the senseless act that took place in Newtown, Connecticut yesterday.  Knowing that children saw horrific scenes, heard terrible sounds, and endured such tragedy tears my heart to pieces. 

As I poured over the names of the victims of the shooting, seeing the ages of 6 and 7 made me so sad.  Little ones with big dreams…ready to begin their educational careers.  Emerging readers, intrigued minds, children who were probably really excited to go to school just so they could learn something new.  Precious lives taken too quickly...now safe in the arms of Jesus.

Psalm 46:1 says, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”  I don’t understand why this happened, but I know that God is here in our midst.  He is the refuge and strength for the families who have lost loved ones.  He is the refuge and strength for the children who witnessed this gruesome scene.  He is the refuge and strength for community of Newtown.  And He is also the refuge and strength for America and the world as we struggle to come to grips with such evil.

All I have left to say is that I can’t wait for Jesus to come back.  We won’t ever have to worry about evil, sadness, or pain again.  Revelation 21:4: “He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” 

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment