Monday, November 9, 2020

Holding onto Hope

My dear friends in Christ, no matter what goes on in this life – job loss, tornadoes, COVID-19, divorce, hurricanes, moving, bankruptcy, cancer diagnoses, death, friend loss, loneliness, elections, births, and the list can go on and on and on – one thing remains constant and true. THERE IS HOPE. THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE.

It is constant (Hebrews 13:8).
It never forsakes us (Deuteronomy 31:6).
It was before all things (Colossians 1:17).
It is with us always (Matthew 28:20).
It cleanses us from sin (1 John 1:9).
It died for us (1 Thessalonians 5:10).
It saves (Matthew 18:11).
It gives peace (John 14:27).
It serves (Matthew 20:28).
It resurrects (John 5:39).
It works for our good (Romans 8:28).
It gives joy (John 15:11).
It loves (Ephesians 5:25).
It is light to the world (John 8:12).
It came and exists to give life (John 10:10).

And it’s if you haven’t caught on by now, it’s actually a person. It’s a person who willingly suffered a hardship far worse than any one of us will ever suffer and through it gifted us with the hope of eternal life with Him forever.

“Without Him I could do nothing
Without Him I'd surely fail
Without Him I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

Jesus, oh Jesus
Do you know Him today
Please don't turn Him away
Oh Jesus, my Jesus
Without Him how lost would I be”

Every day for about the last 5 or so years, I have to remind myself of this hope that is within me and of these attributes that I mentioned above. I have to remember that my hope is not in the things or situations or experiences of this world. My hope comes from above (Romans 15:13). It’s a daily battle for me because the devil does all he can to feed lies into my heart and my soul that attempt to drain my hope. It’s exhausting, emotional, and irrational. I don’t want to see that for myself or anyone else I love.

If you know me, you know my missional mindset. You know I desire to live a life of gospel witness to the world around me and see others do the same. Well, the situation we find ourselves in right now is prime opportunity to be a gospel witness to our fellow neighbor. Not only them, but the world is especially watching us as believers. Will there be unkindness, fighting, accusations or will be love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23)?

Hebrews 10:23-25 says, “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

Jesus’ return is ever nearer, I think much of 2020 has shown us that. We have to make the time left before His return count for the Kingdom. We have to be preaching, teaching, encouraging, and reaching out serving others in His name and for His glory. So today and looking into the future, take the words of Paul in 2 Corinthians with you, “Do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” That’s what counts, that’s all that counts, and that’s all that will count when all is said and done and we are in the presence of our Savior. Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus.

What else do you know about this hope? Feel free to share! Let's encourage one another with the hope Jesus gives!

No comments:

Post a Comment