Friday, June 29, 2012

Giving Thanks...even in 100 degree weather


"Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will
for you who belong to Christ Jesus."

- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 -

I kept repeating this verse today as I sat in 100 degree weather waiting on a tow truck for two hours because my car sounded like it was going to explode.  Thankfully, my dad and family friend (Amy O.) were gracious enough to let me wait in their air-conditioned cars, but this car situation just added to the crazy day I was experiencing.  When I woke up this morning, I had my day all planned out.  But by lunch time I realized that nothing was going as I planned and my scheduling was not working out.  And by 3:00 pm as I was on the phone with AAA, I really discovered that my day was NOT as I had planned.

God has a way of grabbing our attention, doesn't he?  It's days like this where I am reminded by our heavenly Father that I am NOT in control of my life - HE is!  That's such an easy thing to say, but SO hard to live out and remember.  Proverbs 16:9 says, "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs His steps."  This verse tells us that God is the ultimate controller of our lives.  He knows the plans He has for us, He knows what's best for us, and He desires for us to place our trust fully in Him.

Thankfully, my car trouble isn't as bad as originally thought and it's a simple problem that can be easily fixed.  I'd tell you what it was, but I'm not really up on car terminology so I would probably not make any sense describing the problem.  BUT I have learned an important lesson today; no matter what happens - if I get rained on without an umbrella (been there...done that), if I trip up a flight of stairs (typical for me), if I burn something in the oven (which happens more often than not), or even if I have to sit and wait two hours for a tow truck...I am to be thankful and trust God that He's got it all planned out and is working things out for my good (even though it may not look like it to me at the time).  Thank you God for the difficult times, for it's through those times that I realize to always, fully depend on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment