Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Flooded with Peace


“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” – Jesus in John 14:27

In the late 1800s, things seemed to be going terribly for a man named Horatio Spafford.  His four year old son had passed away due to illness.  The great Chicago Fire had destroyed not only his business, but his finances, as well.  In order to escape all this turmoil at home, he decided to travel with his family to Europe.  A zoning problem due to the fire, however, prevented him from leaving on time.  Not wanting to ruin a family trip, he decided to go ahead and send his family ahead of him.  Unfortunately, the boat his family was traveling on collided with another boat and all four of his daughters perished.  His wife telegraphed him back in Chicago saying, “Saved alone…”  This man, heartbroken, traveled on the next boat to Europe to be with his wife.  On the way, he asked the captain of the boat to stop at the place where the accident had occurred.  Looking at the area where the accident occurred, Spafford was inspired to write the following words:
                When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
                When sorrows like sea billows roll;
                Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
                It is well, it is well, with my soul.

These words were penned by a person who had lost everything that had ever mattered or meant anything to him.  However, instead of being furious and angry, he was at peace.  I wonder if he thought of Jesus words as he passed over the place where his family had died?  I think that only the sweet peace of Jesus could bring this man to the place and mindset to pen such poignant words in the midst of such loss.

I’ve been thinking a lot about peace over the past week.  I’m sure, like me, many of you have been praying peace over two special families multiple times a day over the course of the past week.  In the midst of tragedy and turmoil, how do we find peace?  Can we really say “it is well with my soul?”  I think we can, and I think it happens when we let go of our cares and let God handle them.  Easy to say, but not so easy to do…mainly because of control.  We want to be in control of our life, we want to know what comes next, and we want to have a plan for what will happen.  I think a lot of letting go of cares and control centers on Proverbs 3:5-6 – we must trust in God and not lean on our own understanding.  If we rely on our own understanding, it ‘aint gonna make sense.  Plain and simple.  That TV show was right, the (heavenly) Father does really know best and we’ve got to trust that.  Jesus tells us in John 14 not to be troubled or afraid.  We have to let go of fear and doubt, we have to move on in our day-to-day life, and we have to trust God that he will take care of us.  And He will (remember Jeremiah 29:11?).  By doing this, Jesus says we will have His peace. 

As a Christian, I can’t think of anything sweeter than the sweet peace of Jesus flooding my heart, but it's only going to happen when I let go and let Him take control of my life.  So, dear Jesus, “Take my life and let it be consecrate, Lord to Thee.  Take my moments and my days, let them flow in ceaseless praise, let the flow in ceaseless praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment