Friday, May 10, 2013

Birthday Buddies

A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children. - Proverbs 13:22a

May 11, 1987. My mom was at the hospital in labor with me and it was nearing midnight... From what I hear the nurses told the doctor something like this... "Get in here and deliver this baby before midnight." "Why?," He questioned. The nurses replied, "So she can be born on her grandfather's birthday!!" At 11:47 (thirteen minutes before May 12) I arrived. First grandchild born on grandfather's birthday... mission accomplished.

My pa and I share a special day together - May 11. I was born on his 70th birthday and he says I was the best birthday present he ever got (but I'm sure if you asked his kid self it was probably a bike or something like that) :). He was born in 1917 and I was born in 1987 (definitely a generation gap) , but we've never let that gap get the best of us...we've always gotten along and loved being with one another.

I am so blessed to be his granddaughter. He's hilariously funny, super smart, strong in his faith and so much more. Believe me, I have SO many funny stories I could tell you! I'd share my favorite but there are too many to count!

When my dad was a teenager, my pa wrote a short book (never published) about the second coming of Christ and how we need to reach lost people for Christ. He named it "The Golden Nugget." I've not read the entire thing, but the part I have read is very deep and thought-provoking. I'm so inspired by his thoughts and determination to write this short work. I'm also so thankful that I have this little "nugget" (pun intended) to show me how truly strong his faith is. I hope that one day I can follow in his footsteps and write a biblically based short book as well.

I'd never heard Proverbs 13:22 before until I started writing this blog post, but I absolutely love it! Here it is again: "A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children." My pa has most definitely left and continues to leave a rich inheritance to me and my sisters. An inheritance of faith, family, and love that fills all of us with so much joy, happiness, and laughter...LOTS of laughter! He inspires me to bring joy and happiness to others. He inspires me to stay strong. He inspires me to keep the faith and trust God that He's got things all under control.

He's in the hospital on his birthday this year and I wish beyond wish that he could spend it outside of the hospital, BUT, to everything there is a purpose and so I trust God to work His will in this situation. We greatly appreciate the thoughts and prayers for him as he recovers. Prayers are a fantastic birthday present. Maybe he will have a belated birthday present and get to go home next week!!! :)

So...even though I know you won't read this, Pa, know that I love you so much and am so glad to be your birthday buddy. Happy 96th Birthday! I love you!




No comments:

Post a Comment