Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sweet Reminders on a Crazy Day


Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. – Deuteronomy 31:6

Today’s been crazy, ain’t gonna lie.  Technology issues, heavy-ish rain, my grandfather being admitted to the hospital (he’s doing okay, by the way), plus a little bit of this and that….the devil’s really been out to seemingly ruin this day.  If you didn’t know, Sundays are my favorite day of the week.  I love going to church, I love being with my church family, I love being able to serve God on this day and so for today (a Sunday) to be crazy is just so not what I expected and wanted it to be.

There’s been a clear message, though, that has rung throughout this day…the message that God is always here and will never leave or forsake me.  I, in fact, sang about it this morning at church and then was sweetly reminded of it tonight at the children’s musical at church. 

Back in February, I found a song that I knew I wanted to sing at church, Meredith Andrews’ Not For a Moment (After All).  It is such a sweet song about how no matter what is going on, God is always with us and promises to never leave or forsake us…not for a single moment.  The message of this song literally pierces right to the heart.  Believe you me, I’ve cried a good number of times when listening to this song.  I am so blessed I got the opportunity to share it with the church family today, but even more blessed to have been blessed by its message too.

Tonight, the sweet kids sang in their spring musical entitled Spend a While on the Nile.  It is a **cute** musical and it was fun to watch the kids, but my favorite part was a message the kids sang about towards the end of the musical.  Singing Matt Redman’s “You Never Let Go,” the kids reminded us that no matter what happens, God will always be there for us and will never let us go.  Through the storms, through the valleys, in all the problems, in the good times and bad…He will never let go.  Hearing this message on your iPod is one thing, but hearing the message out of the mouths of kids....yup, that's like super heart-piercing.

Tears filled my eyes as the kids sang tonight because I realized at that moment how beautifully the two experiences from today tie together.  God will never let us go, He will never leave us or forsake you…Not. For. A. Moment.  Why?   Because He is constant.  He is good.  He is sovereign.  We don’t have to fear evil, for God is with us.  And if our God is for us, who can be against us?  How big are our problems or frustrations when we know that God is in control?  Not big at all, come to think of it.

So devil, you were defeated today.  Take the aggravation you tried to place on this day and hit the road.  I’m choosing not to look back on this day as one that was disappointing and didn’t go the way I wanted it to, I choose to look back on this day as one in which God reminded me of His promise that He’s got everything under control and will work all things out for my good (Romans 8:28).

I'm posting the two songs that blessed me today, may they be a blessing and sweet reminder to you too that God will never let you go...not for a moment.

Not For a Moment (After All) by Meredith Andrews



You Never Let Go by Matt Redman






No comments:

Post a Comment