Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Living With a Servant's Heart...At Church

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. - 1 Peter 4:10

I don’t wear heels to church.  If I did, I’d fall flat on my face.  Why?  Well, if you see me at church on just about any given Sunday morning, you probably see me running.  No, I’m not trying to run away from you – I’m more than likely trying to quickly get something done or track someone down before one of our three services begin.  Fifteen minutes between services may seem like plenty of time, but trust me, it’s not.  Heels would only slow me down…I need a good pair of dressed-up running shoes! :)

At church on Sunday, while one of our dear media volunteers was running screens during a service, I had a rare chance to sit and reflect.  As I reflected on preparing for and executing the day’s events, I was reminded of all the saints around the world who do the very same thing week in and week out.  I think about people I know who are working in church plants around the United States or friends who are ministering in bigger churches within their community.  My mind immediately jumps to my sweet heart-church, Clearwater Bay International Baptist (CBIBC) in Hong Kong, and my many friends there who serve the Lord in so many different capacities. 

When I recall CBIBC, I remember that this was the first place where I was able to serve in a church.  Growing up in a missions-minded household definitely influenced me in living with a servant’s heart, but CBIBC was where I first was able to live with a servant’s heart at church.  I smile when I think about my little job…but to me at the time it was huge. :)  As an 11 year old, I was the Sunday School attendance collector.  Each Sunday, I compiled everyone’s Sunday School number and turned it in to the pastor after church.  This church grew within me the passion of serving my church – wherever “my” church may be. 

My sweet heart-church, Clearwater Bay International Baptist Church (1999).  I'm in the middle of this picture.

1 Peter 4:10 says that we “should use whatever gift [we] have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”  As believers, God has given us great gifts and talents that we should use to serve others.  Whether it be singing or teaching or running computers or preparing food, we must be good stewards of what the Father has blessed us with. 

What is a good steward?  It is a person who manages or looks after something.  God didn't give us gifts and talents to just to lay dormant in our hearts.  He wants us to use them!  It's by His grace that He has bestowed these gifts and as managers of them we should use them.  I also want to add that I think being a good steward of gifts and talents also means constantly striving to put forth our best effort and ability as we use them.  This comes through practice and/or experience.  The greatest singers don't perform without practice and a sound check.  Their voices just aren't warmed up enough to sound good.  It's the same with us.  Through practice we gain experience and continue to build our talent to become the best it can be. 

A terrific place to use your gifts and talents is at church.  I am SO thankful I discovered this at a young age, I can’t imagine my life now without serving in and being involved in the church.  There are so many avenues in the church in which to serve – teaching (adults, students, kids, even babies), music (choir, orchestra), media (video, audio, screens), cooking (dinners, special events), construction (mission projects), and SO MUCH more!  The church gives you a place to use your gifts and talents, be a good steward of them by gaining experience, and also glorify God in the process!

And glorifying God is what it’s all about!  The Scripture I quoted above goes on to say, If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ (1 Peter 4:11).  Our gifts, our talents, our time, our service…we should use and do all of this to honor the One who gave them…and our very salvation…to us!  It is God, through Christ, who deserves the credit and admiration.  As our Creator, He gave us our gifts.  As our Provider, He provided us the talent.  As our Father, He desires to see us use those gifts and talents.  And as our King, He deserves the recognition and glory for every single ounce of it!  

I’m blessed beyond measure to serve my King.  I’m blessed beyond measure to live each day with a servant’s heart.  I’m blessed beyond measure that I was given that small little job as an 11 year old kid that has blossomed into leadership positions at my current church.  God has given me so much and I pray that I can use my life to give it all back to Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment