Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Love Through Action

“Let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.”
– 1 John 3:18

The Mario Brothers…apparently that’s “THE” costume this year as was evidenced by the masses that showed up to Morristown’s community-wide Boo Fest extravaganza.  I think Mario & Luigi must have come through the FBC Morristown booth at least a dozen times last night…except they all looked a little different in the face!  **Side note: wasn’t that video game popular in like the ‘80s?  Crazy how fads disappear and reappear!**

Anyways…our church brought out our mobile bus to this community event and created the coolest booth I’ve seen…a slide booth!  In order to get off the bus, the kids had to slide out it!  I got to be in the bus as the kids prepared to slide out and let me tell you, 100% of the kids had huge smiles on their faces as they realized we weren’t joking…we had a real, bon-a-fide slide!  I heard this over and over, “THIS IS SO COOL!”  I never realized how many people showed up to an event like this and was so overwhelmed that we were able to outreach to that many people over a 4 hour period.  No, we didn’t preach to them, we showed love to them…love for the community, love for the families, and love for the kids.  And I think that’s where outreach starts…love.



People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.”  This was a quote by guest speaker (and friend) Rabbi Greg Hershberg this past Sunday when he spoke at First Baptist Morristown.  It was an original quote by Theodore Roosevelt, but the point the Rabbi was making was that in order to reach others for Christ, it is vital to build relationships with them.  This quote rang over and over in my mind last night at Boo Fest and really as I thought about outreach in general.  Jesus said in John 13:34-35, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”  Jesus isn’t just telling us to love one another; He’s commanding us to love one another which means we MUST do it.  When we love others as He loved us, we are setting an example to the lost around us that Jesus lives in us and is love thereby showing them that He loves them too! 

The lost don’t care if we have a Masters degree in Christian education.  It means nothing to the lost that we have years of evangelism experience in the church.  The lost couldn't care less about how many people attended church last weekend.  But there’s one common concept that the non-believer will understand and that is love.  The average person knows what it means to love someone or something and understands that if they are shown love and care, then they are valued and special.  I think the following scripture speaks so well to this point, “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned but have not love, I gain nothing” (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).  As this verse continues, Paul goes on to describe love…that it is patient and kind, it doesn’t envy, isn’t showy, isn’t rude, rejoices in truth, that it “bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things,” and finally that it never fails (1 Corinthians 13:4-8 paraphrased). 

As we reach the lost, let’s strive to build relationships with them!  I am seeing this at our seasonal backyard Bible club as we are going to the same location, building relationships through love and care with each of the children, and seeing those relationships lead to eternal decisions…just a week ago one child came to know Jesus through our efforts.  I’ve seen that outreach through love works!  Paul was right, “Love never fails!”

We have a message…a hope…a LOVE that the world needs to hear!  Jesus told us that we are the light of the world and are to shine our light so that others “may see [our] good works and give glory to the Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).  Shine your light for Him by building relationships with others through love.  Show them you care.  Show them they’re special.  Show them they’re valued not only by you but by Jesus too.  Love through action.

No comments:

Post a Comment